By DE Editors
SpaceClaim has announced product enhancements designed for large manufacturing organizations that want to move to upfront concept modeling. SpaceClaim 2011 — the Company’s seventh release of its software — builds on features that enable engineers to leverage 3D for concept modeling, bid modeling, and model preparation.
New in 2011 are enhancements to surface modeling, large assembly performance, model preparation for CAE and manufacturing, and enterprise integration.
The new capabilities in SpaceClaim 2011 include improved large assembly performance, the ability to model off of imported mesh data, and improved free-form modeling. This ship’s initial hull design started in AeroHydro MultiSurf, and the concept was validated and prepared for manufacturing in SpaceClaim. Model courtesy of Marius Meijers.
"SpaceClaim has experienced a very robust 2010, signing new large enterprise customers as well as international partners such as TRUMPF," says Chris Randles, SpaceClaim president and CEO. "By elevating concept and bid modeling, advancing CAE workflow, and enabling all engineers to communicate in 3D, we’re helping our customers converge on key decisions early in the process. SpaceClaim creates a 3D specification that drives detailed design, so engineers can release to CAD when all critical gaps are removed and product success is assured."
New capabilities in SpaceClaim 2011 range from increasingly accessible surfacing, assembly, and model preparation enhancements to strengthened sheet metal and CAD interoperability features. Highlights include:
- New modeling capabilities, including improved surface modeling, freeform sketching, and ability to work with symmetry.
- A new capability to select faces by area and expedite volume extraction for CFD and mold design.
- New sheet metal capabilities help engineers explore a broader array of features used in sheet metal production.
- Mesh data can now be directly reused to make precise 3D models, and enhanced translators support many new CAD releases.
- The TraceParts content library is now provided as a free online service for all users, and customers with floating licenses can borrow them for offline use.
- Numerous improvements in documentation and customization capabilities.
By communicating in 3D prior to release to CAD, the company says engineers can capture knowledge that drives better design decisions, focus on value and eliminate unnecessary specifications, and move the design to CAD only when success is assured.
For more information, visit SpaceClaim.
Sources: Press materials received from the company and additional information gleaned from the company’s website.